Learn how to clean wood the right way to keep it shiny
By Green Maids | January 5, 2022 | Blog | comments 0
To clean wood, especially the wood of the furniture, it is necessary to be careful and use suitable cleaning products to avoid damaging it. Today we want to give you some tips on how to leave your wooden furniture shiny.
How to clean natural wood furniture
To keep your natural wood furniture looking new, follow these cleaning tips:
- Ammonia and chemical products are clear enemies of natural wood. These abrasive products remove the shine and colour of the furniture. If the wood is varnished, you cannot use products containing acetone or solvents either, as they will seriously damage the painted surface.
- Use a cotton or microfiber cloth dampened with clean water only. If you want a deeper cleaning, you can use warm water and neutral soap. Rinse very well.
- Clean in the direction of the grain and without scrubbing. Protects the beauty of natural wood with its textures and grain.
- Dry the furniture very well with a soft, dry cloth so that the wood does not get wet.
As well, natural wood furniture or furniture without varnish can be preserved quite well-using waxes and oils. Wax is one of the best options since it does not give as much shine as oil, nor does it darken, but it does protect the furniture. Olive oil and beeswax are among the best products to maintain the shine and colour of natural wood.
How to clean wood kitchen furniture
With baking soda
Moisten a sponge and squeeze. Apply baking soda to the dirty surface, rub the wood furniture with the sponge until the dirt is removed. Finally, wipe with a clean dry cloth to remove the residue.
With vegetable oil and baking soda
Pour vegetable oil and baking soda into a pan, mix until a lump-free paste is formed. Spread the mixture on the wooden furniture of the kitchen, rub with the help of a toothbrush to remove all the grease and finally wipe the remains with a clean, dry or slightly damp cloth.
With these two simple tricks, you can effortlessly clean wood kitchen cabinets from wood crumbs.
How to clean varnished wood
Cleaning varnished wooden furniture has a great advantage, and that is that they are shinier and look much more spotless. On the other hand, they are more durable, since the varnish provides a protective layer against dust, insects and humidity. However, despite this protection, varnished furniture requires specific care.
To clean varnished wooden furniture properly, just follow the methods below:
Before cleaning, remove dust with a lint-free cotton cloth.
Next, mix linseed oil and isopropyl alcohol in a container in the same proportions. Also, to give extra protection to the furniture, you can add glycerin to this mixture.
Gently wipe the varnished wood surface to be cleaned with a cloth slightly dampened in the preparation.
Wait for the mixture to act for 10 minutes and then, with a clean cotton cloth, remove the remains and polish the entire surface of the furniture.
Another method is:
Make a mixture of olive oil and vinegar in identical proportions.
With the help of a soft cloth soaked in this mixture, clean the furniture.
Make circular movements when you pass the cloth over the wood and do it gently.
Leave the product for about 30 minutes before rubbing with another dry cloth to make the varnished natural wood furniture shiny.
How to clean wooden furniture with vinegar
For badly damaged furniture, vinegar is the solution. Natural remedies are ideal for cleaning certain surfaces such as wood. Mix water with white vinegar in a bowl. Then gently wipe the surface with a cotton cloth, especially in the areas that have lost the lightest and colour. You will notice the difference!
Other tips to keep in mind when cleaning wood
Some general tips will help keep our wood cleaner and last longer:
- Clean the dust every day.
- Avoid exposing them to direct sunlight. Heat can damage the surface of the furniture.
- Do not leave hot containers directly on the wood.
- Protect them from humidity and water.
- Watch out for stains. Don’t forget to serve drinks and food on coasters and tablecloths, instead of placing them directly on the wood. Also, avoid dragging items over the surface.
Try to make good use of your furniture and follow these general recommendations to clean wood and leave it as good as new.
If you need help cleaning your furniture and upholstery, do not hesitate to contact Green Maids Canada. We are experts in cleaning and we use 100% biodegradable products.